Advice: You are clinically at-risk

What to do if you are in a clinically at-risk group

The government has classified various groups as clinically vulnerable or extremely clinical vulnerable.

It is reasonable for a doctor to request adjustments to their working environment to maintain their safety.

This will entail a risk assessment by your employer to establish what adjustments may be needed to keep you safe, including working from home if necessary and practicable.

Where an individual doctor has received a formal written clinical evaluation which places them either in the clinically vulnerable or clinically extremely vulnerable category, a local risk assessment should not be used by managers to try to contradict this.

You do have the right to contest a risk assessment, but we would not advise that you do this alone. The best course of action is to contact HCSA to seek professional advice and support, via or by ringing 01256 770 999.

If you fall into the “clinically extremely vulnerable” category

You are "clinically extremely vulnerable" if you have one of the conditions listed by the government, or if your GP or Clinician has added you to the shielding list.

Formal shielding advice ended on April 1st 2021, meaning that those who have been shielding can now be expected to make arrangements to return to work.

However, it is important that a full, adequate risk assessment is carried out as part of this process and that any necessary adjustments are agreed and implemented prior to your return to work. This is to protect your safety and also forms part of your employer's responsibility to you to safeguard your safety at work.

If you have any concerns about the way your employer is handling your situation then you should contact HCSA for individual support and advice via or by ringing 01256 770 999.